Skip to main content

Protect partner's entry beta3.0

It seems to talk about defense when you see the title at first glance. However, it is a blogger about the plan of play. Fortunately, I am the declarer and bring the contract home by the defender's mistake. Writing too much about protecting partner's entry in defense these days, which reminds me of the first deal which I have played in the National Youth Bridge Championship.

Board 1
Vul: None
Dealer: North
East               North     East     South     West
♠ 9                    Pass     Pass      Pass       1♠
♡ J732            Pass      1NT      Pass        3♠
♢ KJT53         Pass       ?
♣ QJ6         
Pass or 3NT? Pass? I am reluctant to accept. 3NT? It is really too high. Finally, I choose 3NT, a little bit high contract.
Lead: ♡8



Trick     North     East     South     West
   1           ♡T        ♡J       ♡8        ♡6
   2          ♢2        ♢3       ♢8        ♢Q
   3          ♣8          ♣J         ♣A          ♣2
   4          ♡5        ♡2       ♡4        ♡A
   5          ♠4          ♠9         ♠5          ♠A
   6          ♠6        ♡3         ♠7          ♠K
   7          ♠T        ♡7         ♣3           ♠Q
   8          ♢A        ♢5       ♢7         ♢4
When my partner said good luck to me, I realized the difficulty of the contract. I was despaired when I saw the cards on the table.
The leading is quite strange. 8? What ♡ does South hold? 11-8=3. If North holds either Q or K, South should lead T rather than 8. Will South hold KQ98 or 98XX? So I follow a small a heart on the table and North follows T. I win with the ♡J in hand. Oh, what a nice surprise! If the distribution of ♠ is 3-3, there are 9 tricks in hand. I try to drive out ♢A first and it is easy to know who holds ♢A. When I play a small ♢ to dummy's Q, North follows a small ♢ in a hesitation. And now how to play? Drawing ♠ at once and hoping 3-3 in ♠? Is that too sloppy? If the distribution of ♠ is 4-2, is there any chance to make? If I play a small ♣ from table to hand, is it dangerous? Obviously, NO!!! And there is an extra chance. If the distribution of ♠ is 4-2 and South holds 4♣ with A or K and South doesn't duck or North doesn't play K immediately, I will lose 1♠, 1♢ and 2♣ at all. So I play a small club after winning with the ♢K on table and South really wins with the ♣A and then continues to play ♡. Then I draw three tops of ♠ and South discards a small club on the third trick. And now the contract is safe. South doesn't have any entry to cash in heart. North has to play ♣ or ♢. As long as one of defenders calculate carefully, I could not success forever...

  • Do not follow a small card casually! 
  • Do not forget to calculate carefully!
  • Please remember to duck!
  • Do not give up in any situation! Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!😂

The full deal
Board 1
Vul: None
Dealer: North

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online training: An unexpected but reasonable ducking

HAHAHA, after one month off bridge, I'm back!!! This deal happened in our weekly online training, Nov 5th, 2018. First of all, I have to admit my mistake. Hahaha, to be honest, the training was quite boring. After 12 boards, the scores were still 2:2. Although I knew X was not allowed and I would be fined if 3♣X was brought home, I still couldn't help to doing that. Board 13 Dealer: North Vul: Both North    East    South    West  Pass     Pass      1♢         2♢*   2♡*      2♠       Pass       Pass   3♣         X         AP 2♢: Michael 2♡: ♣ suit, better than 3♣ Lead: ♡3 (if hasn't raised, count has a priority. That is to say, xxx lead the smallest card) Table followed ♡9. Normally, you would play ♡Q causally. Would it be correct in this case? Leading analysis: East seems to hold 3♡, unless East hold ♡32. In that case, North might not scramble for 3♣ under such vulnerability if North has 4 cards ♡. Bidding analysis: There is no doubt that East doubled,

Asian Game_ Pairs Final: Creating an entry!

This deal happened in the last segment of Asian Game Pairs Finals. Who played this deal would never be mentioned in my blog. I was quite afraid of being accused of insulting players. Board 15 Dealer: South Vul: N-S South    West    North    East  2♡*        Pass     Pass        X  Pass       2♠       Pass      3NT   AP 2♡: Weak 6 cards ♡ Lead: ♣4 North followed ♣Q and you won with the ♣A. And now, how to play? Now you had 3♣, 1♡, so you need 4♠ and 1♢. You must assume that South hold ♢A and North hold ♠K. Otherwise it would down quickly. The leading was quite strange. If he was 1-6-3-3, he would lead ♢. If he was 2-6-2-3, ♡ was the normal leading. I felt South hold 4 cards ♣, because he led quickly. However, it was hard to say. Anyway, you need 2 entries to finesse ♠K. One was ♢K, appreciating the leading, ♣9 became another entry. Before everything, you must knock out ♣J first. 1. If South won with the J and returned ♣. The distribution was clear. And South must hold d

Online training: Please remember to detect the honors beforehand !!!

This deal happened in our weekly online training last Monday. I couldn't concentrate my attention due to the lack of card sense online. Rookie mistake should be mentioned here. Board 13 Vul: Both Dealer: North East    West 1NT      2♣  2♡       4♡ Lead: ♠7 South led ♠7 while North followed ♠J. And I won with the ♠Q. Now what's your plan? ♠7 seemed to be doubleton. Firstly, you couldn't avoid to lose 1♠, 1♢ and 1♣ at least. In other word, you must make a right guess in who had ♡Q. For me, due to the leading, I had supposed South hold long ♡ and he hadn't led trump, so I just played casually, cashing ♡K, then ♡J->♡2->♡5->♡Q... Oops... Doing some detection first to find more clues might be a better choose. Sending out ♢ first and whatever who won, he had no choice but to return ♢ or ♠. I could win in hand. Crossing to table with ♣K. And now the distribution was clear. If one A for each, now it was your guess time, no more information I thought. May